Sunday, February 7, 2010

Research Paper Proposal

For my research paper I would like to discuss how certain authors incorporate underlying meanings of good morals and success in their stories. I think it is extremely important to motivate students, and with the right type of literature this could be a great way to incorporate a form of character education in the classroom. Stories like these could be used to spark critical thinking and reflection on certain behaviors and character ethics, which can teach students constructive ways in which to go about their educational careers as well as life. With the moral decline and drop out rate in our public schools, motivational as well as ethical approaches to learning could be an important aspect in teaching todays students however, not every method of incorporating things such as these are beneficial and appropriate. I may touch on some of these teaching strategies in my paper but I want to base the majority on literature that can be used and the philosophies they convey. I will probably use a couple of the books that I read for the literary circle this past week which are, Oh! The Places You'll Go, by Dr. Seuss, and How to Paint the Portrait of a Bird, by Jaques Prevert. And I tried to italicize the titles of the books but for some reason the system would not let me, oh well. I will find some others that portray the same message as well, I just haven't gotten that far in the process.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a good idea. I think that Any Small Goodness (coming up on the syllabus) will also work for this paper. You might also look at how morals are conveyed in different cultures. A Single Shard would likely work too, if you went this route. I look forward to reading your paper!

    ReplyDelete